Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Dreading the unknown...


It was pitch dark outside as it was a moonless night and the winds were howling. It was raining like cats and dogs. The windows were barred with grill and were banging loudly against the wall. Shadows could be seen forming on the wall giving it a scary look. Cobwebs were hanging on the sides and suddenly a group of bats flew by. My heart was racing and I was scared to death. I cried for help but to my dismay none came. Frantically i tried searching for a way out but there was none which i could find. I climbed the creaking stairs praying hard that they don't break in search of a door or anything that could lead me away from this situation. On reaching I observed that the first floor looked more ghostly, with the paintings staring at your face and the chairs covered with dust and cobwebs. All this was fueling my level of fear and my desire to run was increasing. It felt as if i was locked in a box and the keys were thrown away someplace so that no one can find me. I didn't know what to do , how to get out. I was so helpless and alone. Then as if god heard me and took pity lightning struck and far in the corner of the room I saw something which resembled a door . I ran quickly towards it to check and Yes !! it was a door. I murmured a thank you and started moving the chairs which were stacked against it. When it was done, i tried opening the door and found that i still couldn't. Filled with anger and disappointment i sat down and wondered how to get out. I quickly scanned the room for any other option but i already knew that this door was my only hope. I kicked hard, banged the door with a hammer; tried everything possible i could in the situation , but the door just wouldn't budge. I was tired, scared and thirsty and still clueless. As i calmed down i scrutinized the room once again. The chandelier was antique, the curtains were velvet and the paintings which now looks scary in the dark were indeed masterpieces. The room must have been very royal once and a privy to lot of lavish parties and balls. Amidst all this thinking my fear had completely faded and i started to like the room. A sudden lightening reminded me of my task and i tried opening the door again. To my grave astonishment the door opened easily.

As i walked through the door, I entered the same room again but it was now in a much better shape. The windows were shining, curtains seemed washed and dry cleaned, paintings were all looking beautiful and the eerie feeling which the room gave earlier was replaced by a feeling of hope, warmth and happiness. The sun was bright outside, birds were flying in the garden and everything was perfect as it can ever be. I then realized it was not the room that had changed but my way of looking at it has changed. Earlier i feared the unknown but as my fear subsided i was able to come out of the nightmare to a more prosper situation.

In our daily lives too we dread certain things. These could be the fear of failure, fear of losing that someone special, fear of defaulting or the fear of not being respected and accepted by the peers. When we come across such fearful things we act like pigeons when they are attacked. Pigeons close their eyes thinking that as they cannot see the attacker, even the attacker cannot see them. But we all know its not the case. Turning blind eye to the problems is not the solution. We first need to fight our inner demons and then take on the world. We have to let go of the fear and fill ourselves with hope. Only then can we give in our 100% and achieve the pinnacle of success.

2 comments:

  1. Beautifully described...n u knw wat, i can so relate to what u hd written at d end...u knw what i m refering to.... :) ...i do run away from thngs... hehehehe. ..

    ReplyDelete
  2. well i can completely relate to ur blog this... Chennai is like ur room to me... now its upon me how i deal with it.!!!!

    ReplyDelete